- This event has passed.
Introduction to MTB
July 5, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am75$
FVMBA is pleased to be able to offer an introductory mountain bike training course to FVMBA members. For insurance reasons, you must be an FVMBA member to take the course. Not a member? Join FVMBA at this link.
The course consists of two sessions, each 2 hours long, and it’s targeted at people who are wanting to learn the basic skills of mountain biking. Here’s what you will learn at this course.
- The Bike: What do you need to ride MTB trails? We’ll cover the kinds of bikes you can get, and how to find a new or used bike. Riders will also learn how to use their gears and brakes effectively and with control
- Body Positioning: the proper riding position for a mountain bike is a little different than most people realize. Proper body positioning, showing the neutral and ready positions, will be demonstrated so that riders maximize their stability in various trail conditions
- Trail scanning: riders will be shown how to analyze the trail immediately ahead and farther down the trail so they can plan an exact route to deal with obstacles and areas of low traction
- Climbing: using a centred body position, riders will learn to climb more challenging trails while overcoming minor obstacles
- Descending: body positioning is critical for descending trails, and riders will learn how to use it along with braking to descend with confidence!
- Cornering: using body positioning, the neutral & ready positions, and leaning your bike to corner more effectively
Dates, Time and Location
The course will be held at the Chilliwack Community Forest at 51642 Allan Rd, Chilliwack, BC.
- Session 1: July 5th, 9-11 am
- Session 2: July 26th, 9-11 am
- Wes Macaulay is a certified PMBIA instructor and has been on the board of the FVMBA for 3 years. While he’s been mountain biking for many years, becoming a mountain bike instructor has revolutionized the sport for him, and he’s looking forward to making it fun for you! His passion is to make mountain biking more accessible to anyone who wants to give it a try. Wes and his family live in the Chilliwack area.
- Colin Moreh is a certified PMBIA instructor and he LOVES mountain biking. His energy will motivate you to embrace the ride! Colin and his family are also from the Chilliwack area.
- Age: 12 and up – minors must be accompanied by a guardian
- Bike: riders must bring their own bikes – rentals are not available. Ensure your bike is in good working order before coming to the course
- Group size: 8 riders maximum + the two instructors (4:1 ratio maximum)
To register for the course, please contact email@example.com. Space is limited to eight riders.